Friday, August 28, 2009

From Jeddah to Thuwal / De Jeddah a Thuwal

So sorry it is taking me so long to post. We have been working on getting our home and have been very busy, but here are some pictures!!! yes, you heard right.

Lo siento muchisimo que no he publicado nada en tanto tiempo. Hemos estado trabajando duro para preparar la casa, pero por lo menos aqui tenemos unas foticos....si escucharon bien, fotos!!!
Little Miss Elena sporting cute pink flowers on her hair, courtesy of the door man and hotel plants.

Elenita demostrando florecitas rosadas, cortesia del botones y las matas del hotel.
Isn't that cute? That is what the "house keeping " guy did for Victoria's bed one day. I thought it was cute and don't you think his name it's funny? we are in a hotel not a house!

No esta cuchi? Eso lo arreglo el conserje hace unos dias. Es la cunita de Victoria y su bebe.
These are pictures of Jeddah. We were in a bus going to Thuwal, the city where KAUST is. I was going to oversee all the repairs that were going to be done that day in our home.

Estas fotos son de Jeddad. Estabamos en un autobus llendo a Thuwal, que es la ciudad donde KAUST esta construida. Yo estaba llendo porque tenia que supervisar todos los reparos que se tenian que hacer en la casa.
Below are the pictures of Thuwal. Thuwal is a small city "town" of fisherman. The difference between Thuwal and Jeddah are big, not only it is a small place where poorer people live, they are also more strict in their rules, woman there don't go out by themselves and they cover from head to toe and veiled their faces.

Abajo hay fotos de Thuwal. Thuwal es una pequena ciudad mas como un pueblo de pescadores. La differencia no es solo a nivel social pero tambien religioso. Las mujeres en Thuwal no salen a ninguna parte sin sus esposos y se cubre completamente hasta un velo encima de todo.
Right there in the middle of all the dust (sand), you see a building? that is KAUST.

Ahi en el medio de todo el polvero (arena), ven un edifcio? ese es KAUST.
Here we are in campus, one of the buildings that is somewhat finished. Notice the lime green, deep purple and "what in the world were you thinking" blue floral chair. I believe the interior decorators had a blast with all the money they were given to decorate the place.

Aqui estamos en la universidad, en uno de los edificios que esta como quien dice terminado. Me imagino que se dieron cuenta de las sillas, verde como limon, morado oscuro y "en que carrizo estabas pensando" azul con flores! Esos decoradores de interiores disfrutaron mucho todo el dinero que les dieron para decorar el sitio.

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Don't knock the blue chair - I think it's awesome. Useless, but awesome none the less.

Melissa said...

I love getting a view into your life in Saudi Arabia! It is all so foreign to me (haha), and I am amazed at your courage, strength, and everything!!

Ashley said...

Those chairs ROCK!

And holy cute service from the cleaning staff!

So does this mean you won't be able to go out without David in the town where you'll live? How will you get errands done...?

Cailean said...

It's so exciting to see an update from you. You live in such an interesting place. I'm glad the rules are not as strict where you'll be. But I imagine with your adventurous nature you'll want to explore the region. I LOVE those chairs - all the colors seem to work together. Lime and purple! Wow!

WendyJ said...

My sister has a good friend who lived there for 20 years. She has some amazing stories to tell as I'm sure you will too.

Belkycita said...

I really like how colorful the whole place is. You haven't seen the orange ones or our home rugs and couches, But no worries I will show you soon.
The floral chair is just so interesting to me, the don't have prints anywhere but on that chair! I do love the color if it though.

Kori said...

You're not in Kansas anymore, are you?

Linda said...

WOW!! Thanks for keeping us informed and for all the photos, inside and out. It makes it easier because it makes me feel like you're closer than you are. My head is trying to fool my heart. I like the chairs too - especially if they're comfortable. Can't wait to see what your home looks like. Glad you're in! love you