
Grandma and grandpa stayed with us for a few extra days after the reunion, and on Monday we went to Mount Rainier. We drove down to aptly-named Paradise and hiked up part of the Skyline Trail.

A couple of miles up, we came to a snow patch on a nice hill. Let's just say this was even better than ice-blocking.

Even grandma got in on the action.

This little girl hiked all the way up (about 1500 feet elevation gain) and even carried a hatfull of snow with her. According to her, it's the new way to keep cool. She also learned about phase changes by stomping her snow into muddy puddles and then letting it evaporate in the heat (yes, it was very hot, even up there!)

The girls staged a mutiny and turned back when it was 2 p.m., we hadn't eaten lunch, and they realized how far we were from any viable food sources.
Then Grandpa did the unthinkable. We came to a sign saying "Trail blocked with snow. NOT RECOMMENDED." And he decided caution was the better part of valor, so we turned around.
I guess it must be true what they say about age and wisdom.
5 comments:
I don't recognize the flower from the closeup in the new header. Looks really fantastic, though! I didn't think you could top the fireworks display, but you did.
I can remember one or two occasions when grandpa had a little less age and whole lot more (probably too much) daring.
Thanks for sharing.
Love it, and love you.
Looks like fun. I can't believe it was hot when those pictures look so full of snow!
I just read all your posts about the KFR. Great photos! It was nice to reminisce-was it really only a week and a half ago that we were all together? I miss you1
Great day - great experiences - great memories! Thanks for helping me relive them.
The secret to Grandpa's wisdom is how much he loves his family. Ain't nothing going to make him risk their safety!
love you!
I love the photos, David. They're so good that I can't call them pics; they're "photos". Seriously, is there anything that you two can't do?
Post a Comment