
Yes!!! that wonderful smile belongs to my sweet Mother in Law.
She just graduated from BYU and she deserves that smile and degree like no one else. She paused her studies to raise a family but didn't forget about her education. After the "baby" moved out she returned to her schooling. She was so lucky to have shared the same graduation ceremony with her "baby"
So, to all of you out there, DON'T give up on those dreams, it is never too late to start, continue or finish them. "NOW" is the time to do it, so ... get up and do something you love!
but if you feel like it finish reading the post :-)
Right now at KAUST we are enjoying the very first Winter Enrichment Period (WEP) in which "we" (the community, students, teachers, professors, guests and more) are filling our cups with all kind of information. From the nerdiest talks, to FUN RUNS! (5K)
Yes, KAUST hosted its very first 5K and a big part of the community decided to participate, after all it was a FUN RUN!
So... little inexperienced, previously known as "alien" Belkycita, decided to sign up with her white chocolate. He agreed, and didn't say anything. I am blaming the busyness of the week, because I am sure if he would have thought of the fact that I had NEVER ran a 5K, and that I get breathless every time I come up the stairs, blah blah HE would have stopped ME!
But, he didn't and even though I tried to stay home that morning, he, as always, gave me the strength to do what I am afraid of doing.
So, the call was made and we all started going , before a minute my white chocolate was already gone, and I was left behind. As I noticed more and more people pass me I started to feel very discouraged, but I keep going because I told him I would, because the girls waved by and I can't fail them, because my mom is watching and she wold put me back there with just "THE LOOK"
So, I kept on going, a friend came by and kept telling me how I shouldn't push myself too bad, that his house was around the corner and that he was going in as soon as we ran by it and that I could go in too. I was so tempted but I thought of David and kept going. After what felt like eternity I decided that I could not do it anymore, so I slowed down and started walking and guess what?!
I felt SICK! and the only way to feel better was...by running more!!!!!
Needless to say I found what you would call, my "Pace" and I was able to go a little longer, then a hill came by ****umm....hill? whyyyyy?!!!?******** so I walked up the hill, feeling a little sick but somehow breathing a little better. When it was time to go down the hill I decided to jog again, to gain some time and pass the 8 year old girls that had passed me going up. Guess what?...... it HURT!!!! so I walked down and jogged and walked and jogged and walked.
Some kind person gave me cold water and when I drank I felt sick, yucks! so guess what I did? I put some water in my mouth, tried to wet my throat and the spit out the water ....GROSS!!! SUPER GROSS!!!!!!!! ..........but there was nothing else to do. I mean, I could have drank the water and then puke! GROSS!!!!!
I can see the turn to the finish line a block away, so I decide to run for it, because that way it would be OVER but.... it hurt and it felt like it got longer by the minute. Then I see those sweet super excited faces yelling "Mommy Mommy!!!" and then guess what?! MY white chocolate -whom had finished ages before me- came and ran that last part with me.
I was so emotional, I saw the finish like and those fun people I see all the time at all the activities were right there and recognize me and were cheering for me... and at last I crossed the line.
I felt sick,So... little inexperienced, previously known as "alien" Belkycita, decided to sign up with her white chocolate. He agreed, and didn't say anything. I am blaming the busyness of the week, because I am sure if he would have thought of the fact that I had NEVER ran a 5K, and that I get breathless every time I come up the stairs, blah blah HE would have stopped ME!
But, he didn't and even though I tried to stay home that morning, he, as always, gave me the strength to do what I am afraid of doing.
So, the call was made and we all started going , before a minute my white chocolate was already gone, and I was left behind. As I noticed more and more people pass me I started to feel very discouraged, but I keep going because I told him I would, because the girls waved by and I can't fail them, because my mom is watching and she wold put me back there with just "THE LOOK"
So, I kept on going, a friend came by and kept telling me how I shouldn't push myself too bad, that his house was around the corner and that he was going in as soon as we ran by it and that I could go in too. I was so tempted but I thought of David and kept going. After what felt like eternity I decided that I could not do it anymore, so I slowed down and started walking and guess what?!
I felt SICK! and the only way to feel better was...by running more!!!!!
Needless to say I found what you would call, my "Pace" and I was able to go a little longer, then a hill came by ****umm....hill? whyyyyy?!!!?******** so I walked up the hill, feeling a little sick but somehow breathing a little better. When it was time to go down the hill I decided to jog again, to gain some time and pass the 8 year old girls that had passed me going up. Guess what?...... it HURT!!!! so I walked down and jogged and walked and jogged and walked.
Some kind person gave me cold water and when I drank I felt sick, yucks! so guess what I did? I put some water in my mouth, tried to wet my throat and the spit out the water ....GROSS!!! SUPER GROSS!!!!!!!! ..........but there was nothing else to do. I mean, I could have drank the water and then puke! GROSS!!!!!
I can see the turn to the finish line a block away, so I decide to run for it, because that way it would be OVER but.... it hurt and it felt like it got longer by the minute. Then I see those sweet super excited faces yelling "Mommy Mommy!!!" and then guess what?! MY white chocolate -whom had finished ages before me- came and ran that last part with me.
I was so emotional, I saw the finish like and those fun people I see all the time at all the activities were right there and recognize me and were cheering for me... and at last I crossed the line.
I got a medal,
David wanted me to keep walking :-(
My mom wanted me to smile!! but the girls were so excited, so I did. This is right before David joined me.
That picture we are pointing at is a drawing Elena made of herself at her school and they posted it at the finish line. I've always loved her eyes :-)Am I glad I did it? I think the honest answer is yes, but at the time I really thought... WHY!!! anyone in their right mind would torture himself that way. It was painful. I fell asleep after I came home and showered and was drowsy all day. I can truly understand now why runners are in such an amazing shape, your whole body has to work to make it happen. I still don't understand why it would be "FUN" but it was nice running by the Red Sea, feeling the breeze and thinking of the wonderful blessings I have in my life. Because for some reason, when you run, you can take everything out of your mind ;-)
9 comments:
Way to go, Belky!! This reminds me of something Vincent van Gogh was reported to have said: “I am always doing what I can’t do yet in order to learn how to do it.” (quoted by Sister Virginia Pearce in 1992) I use that saying all the time to give me courage to try something new!
And thanks for sharing that fun picture of Linda. One of my best memories is graduating from college with my mom, who did the same thing.
GO BELKY!!! You know that last few minutes when you turned the corner towards the finish and your girls started cheering for you? You know that feeling you felt?....THAT is the reason I run, THAT is the reason I run races, and THAT is the reason I am going to run a marathon in June. It's the best feeling in the world to have your children & husband be so completely proud of you.
I am so proud of you! I would have totally been there to cheer you on. Keep it up. Running isn't so bad when you train. It doesn't always feel like torture. :) I'm so glad you posted a picture!
GO BELKY, GO!
WWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We are soooo soooo soooo IMPRESSED! We had no idea - Don't you have asthma? Words can't express how impressed we are with you. You can do ANYTHING!!! Seriously, ANYTHING!
I trained and trained and trained before I ran my first 5K and it was still challenging. I hope you'll keep running. You might find out that you really enjoy that feeling. Talk to to Cathy about it - she's pretty inspiring.
And I love the quote Becky posted. I think that will be my motto for 2010, so I'm going to memorize it.
I love you!
Good job, Belky!! I am the worst runner, so I totally understand all of the feelings you described. Way to go!
You have incredibly inspired me in this post. I want to go out and run...or study...or learn...or something! So...I'm going to send my kids to be early and do something exciting!
Congrats! That's really wonderful. Good for you guys!
What fun for you and your whole family. You have a great cheering squad. I must ask -- is "white chocolate" David? Is that an inside joke nickname!? Funny :)
I love this post! I love reading about your girls, too, but these accomplishments of yours and David's mom are inspirational. And you look super skinny in your running gear! Fabulous!
Bel-
Running is FUN!!!!! (And sanity saving) I'm hoping to do one in April to raise money for women in the Congo....wanna run with me??? We miss you guys tons! Much love!
Post a Comment