Monday, October 18, 2010

Cakes and Halloween craft.

 This month I was flattered to make some cupcakes for a friend's birthday party. Two sets, one Star Wars and the other Toy Story.
The one above is the Toy Story set, all of them chocolate cupcakes with face figures made out of royal icing.
I have to admit that they are very very time consuming and that I might prefer cakes and not cupcakes.
But I was happy with how they turned out. It was my very first time making this figures, piping is really time consuming but I think I can do it again with more preparation and now I know what kind is harder than others.

Then, a dear friend asked me to make a cake for her son's birthday and he is OBSESSED! with soccer, so I made a soccer field with little shirts as the players, the names are the guests of the party. I like how it turned out but I could have made it WAY better, hadn't I drop the cake after I iced it the day before I had to deliver it. 
David says is just like in the food network "Challenge" show when they have to move pieces 4 or 5 feet tall from their work table to the display area. TERRIFYING!!!!
I also made a cake for a baby shower, very simple but I would like to believe cute :-) I don't have pictures of it :-(

Now, Halloween FUN!!
You know how much I love Halloween, and even though I haven't decorated the whole house (due to all the cakes in the make) I was able to do a little craft with the girls from a friend's site http://emilyburnette.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-09-27T06%3A00%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=7
So cute and so fast. I made the girls color muffin paper cups to add a little something to it all.


 This is all she did... and color from her coloring book, but she was CERTAIN that she made the garland!

 We made two sets, set number one is above the Witches that are stirring their brew.
Set number two is welcoming everyone at the front door.
 Some days later Elena decided we needed a BIG witch, so she asked for a lot of paper, crayons and tape.
Right there you have 7sheets of copy paper.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!!!!

11 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow, you're a total artist! That is very difficult to do and I think you're amazing! Also, I love the halloween crafts...so creative. Way to go Elena!

Laura said...

those cupcakes/cake are awesome! you are so talented!

Momma J said...

You are so creative and crafty! Love the cupcakes they are amazing! Hope you have a Happy Halloween!

Meg said...

Those cupcakes are AMAZING! And tell Elena that I absolutely LOVE the witch!

Lindsey said...

Those cupcakes are awesome. Sam's two favorite things right now - Toy Story and Star Wars. I love Halloween too! We just made the same garland from Emily's site last week. Elena's witch makes yours look so much better though. What are your girls going to be for halloween? Are you going to dress up too?

Laura said...

Hey Belky,

I just got this from BYU math dept.

"In order to maintain the largest hiring pool possible, the BYU Math Department likes to keep a list of LDS mathematicians who have received, or will receive, a Ph.D. in mathematics. If you know of any such persons, could you please send their names and contact information to me as soon as possible?"

I was just wondering if you could pass on Camille and Robert's (or just Robert's) contact info. And I think I remember one other couple in the 7th ward who was getting a Ph.D in Math (Karl and Sarah maybe?). Can you think of any more?

Thanks!

Linda said...

WOW - the cupcakes are even more detailed than I imagined from our conversation! You really are an artist, you know. And you really are a wonderful mommy. love you!

ps - Sorry I missed out on the invitation to dance with the girls Monday, try again when I'm home.

Amber said...

My oh my! So cute! You are such fabulous girls! I love the art!

Kori said...

You are taking cupcakes to a whole new level, friend!

Alison B said...

You are so talented!!! I wouldn't even think to attempt that kind of artistry on food.

Heidi said...

Bel-

I know this is totally delayed, but I just saw the pictures of your cakes. Holy Cow. You're awesome!!!! When you get back I know who to call for all my cakes ;)

Love ya!