Many many moons ago David's older sisters starting talking about this Triathlon for Moms. I tried to be polite and acted as I cared. Then, they were all signing up and they started training. Mind you, we don't all live close to each other, but we know how to use FB and gmail.
Then I talked to Amy and she was so genuinely excited about it that I got interested, then she followed up with more info and her enthusiasm.
The girls in Dave's family are absolutely pushy!!! So, I went ahead and signed up, long before all of them signed up, but I kept it to myself because I was terrified of the idea. Then the training began and they were making progress, I did some training but not much, I kept getting cold feet. I can't run for more than 5 minutes, yet they all wanted to do a 5 k and a bike ride and a swim?!!
I don't even know how to swim!!!
But my dearest David pushed me (Maybe it is all of them, not just the girls) and encourage me to do it.
He took me to the pool and taught me how to swim just weeks before the race. Well, he taught me how to do the backstroke because it was the only one that would not kill me.
High altitude and my asthma are NOT friends, at all.
Weston got me a bike that I rode for 5 minutes a couple of days before the race. I've been biking around the community before going away for the summer break,so that one I practiced some.
Mom took me running with her at her gym. I couldn't even walk fast, I had the hardest time breathing. David took me on a run and it was awful, I felt so discouraged.
I tried to quit many times, but David didn't let me, and I knew the others wouldn't either.
I was terrified, but I knew that I couldn't let everyone down, and I wanted to be a good example for the girls. David kept reminding me of Elena and her swimming competition, she was the last but she had a great time. I needed to learn from that, I needed to face my fears.
Then we met Amy's family and they were all so relaxed, so happy, so excited and kept repeating the theme for their family "I can do hard things" and just like that my fears lessened and I thought about all the hard things I've done in my life, this was going to be a piece of cake!
Ok, not so much but it wasn't as scary.
I did it!!!
It took me forever, but it was an amazing experience. I laughed so hard during my first swim lap that I got so much water in my mouth. I realized half way through that first lap that I hadn't put on my goggles, I thought that was SO funny. I was able to think about someone else during the bike ride, a lady fell of her bike and I was able to get down and help her. I also heard many people cheer me on during the bike ride (the hardest part for me because I had no water and there were SO many hills!!) When the run part started I was so excited to be at the end of it, and I knew I still had energy in me. I tried running parts of it. It was an off and on thing, I had songs that reminded me of the girls and I felt their energy. But my legs were cramping from the bike ride. I kept trying to run but I was much slower. Out of the blue a lady told me, "I saw you on the bike, you didn't get down on the hills, come on, let's move!" and she made go the last part, she was amazing.
At the very end Mom came and did the last bit with me, and so did Megan, but for the finish line, I had my David by my side, my lipstick was still on and my braids were off, I was free, I was excited, I had done it. Just like that, I finished it, and I did it with the most amazing people I know.
Thank you Mom, Amy, Melanie, Cheryl, Megan, Nancy (and crew!) and all the husbands for your support, your encouragement, your love. I did it but I couldn't have done it without you.
Thank you my girls and my David, you are all I've ever wished for in my life.
After the race we all went to a restaurant that was so close but yet, so far away. We all enjoyed a great meal and amazing company. We said our goodbyes, we cried and we left.
We drove for hours (12, 13?) to R's house. We had an amazing time with them. We went to church with them and a boy told David that sometimes his brother can say the most inappropriate things. Like David didn't know :-)
Mel made us yummy food, the kids loved my girls the whole time we were there and made them feel so amazing!
Luisa was so spoiled by everyone and she traumatized Molly, sorry Mol, she loves you!!! Not as much as David though ;-)
I don't have pictures of our time with R and M, because I only took videos of the amazing show the kids put on for us. I won't post them though, I would have to charge if you want to see this amazing event!
Then we drove and drove to Seattle, where we would board our plane back to Dubai and then Jeddah.
Were we sad to go? absolutely, but there is something about going home that makes you feel so excited! if you don't believe me....
Ask Luisa.
Then I talked to Amy and she was so genuinely excited about it that I got interested, then she followed up with more info and her enthusiasm.
The girls in Dave's family are absolutely pushy!!! So, I went ahead and signed up, long before all of them signed up, but I kept it to myself because I was terrified of the idea. Then the training began and they were making progress, I did some training but not much, I kept getting cold feet. I can't run for more than 5 minutes, yet they all wanted to do a 5 k and a bike ride and a swim?!!
I don't even know how to swim!!!
But my dearest David pushed me (Maybe it is all of them, not just the girls) and encourage me to do it.
He took me to the pool and taught me how to swim just weeks before the race. Well, he taught me how to do the backstroke because it was the only one that would not kill me.
High altitude and my asthma are NOT friends, at all.
Weston got me a bike that I rode for 5 minutes a couple of days before the race. I've been biking around the community before going away for the summer break,so that one I practiced some.
Mom took me running with her at her gym. I couldn't even walk fast, I had the hardest time breathing. David took me on a run and it was awful, I felt so discouraged.
I tried to quit many times, but David didn't let me, and I knew the others wouldn't either.
I was terrified, but I knew that I couldn't let everyone down, and I wanted to be a good example for the girls. David kept reminding me of Elena and her swimming competition, she was the last but she had a great time. I needed to learn from that, I needed to face my fears.
Then we met Amy's family and they were all so relaxed, so happy, so excited and kept repeating the theme for their family "I can do hard things" and just like that my fears lessened and I thought about all the hard things I've done in my life, this was going to be a piece of cake!
Ok, not so much but it wasn't as scary.
I did it!!!
It took me forever, but it was an amazing experience. I laughed so hard during my first swim lap that I got so much water in my mouth. I realized half way through that first lap that I hadn't put on my goggles, I thought that was SO funny. I was able to think about someone else during the bike ride, a lady fell of her bike and I was able to get down and help her. I also heard many people cheer me on during the bike ride (the hardest part for me because I had no water and there were SO many hills!!) When the run part started I was so excited to be at the end of it, and I knew I still had energy in me. I tried running parts of it. It was an off and on thing, I had songs that reminded me of the girls and I felt their energy. But my legs were cramping from the bike ride. I kept trying to run but I was much slower. Out of the blue a lady told me, "I saw you on the bike, you didn't get down on the hills, come on, let's move!" and she made go the last part, she was amazing.
At the very end Mom came and did the last bit with me, and so did Megan, but for the finish line, I had my David by my side, my lipstick was still on and my braids were off, I was free, I was excited, I had done it. Just like that, I finished it, and I did it with the most amazing people I know.
Thank you Mom, Amy, Melanie, Cheryl, Megan, Nancy (and crew!) and all the husbands for your support, your encouragement, your love. I did it but I couldn't have done it without you.
Thank you my girls and my David, you are all I've ever wished for in my life.
After the race we all went to a restaurant that was so close but yet, so far away. We all enjoyed a great meal and amazing company. We said our goodbyes, we cried and we left.
We drove for hours (12, 13?) to R's house. We had an amazing time with them. We went to church with them and a boy told David that sometimes his brother can say the most inappropriate things. Like David didn't know :-)
Mel made us yummy food, the kids loved my girls the whole time we were there and made them feel so amazing!
Luisa was so spoiled by everyone and she traumatized Molly, sorry Mol, she loves you!!! Not as much as David though ;-)
I don't have pictures of our time with R and M, because I only took videos of the amazing show the kids put on for us. I won't post them though, I would have to charge if you want to see this amazing event!
![]() |
| Luisa and Molly, True love. One way only though :-) |
Were we sad to go? absolutely, but there is something about going home that makes you feel so excited! if you don't believe me....
Ask Luisa.








2 comments:
The triathamom was so FUN because of all that each of us overcame. You were and are an inspiration to me, Belky. I love you!
You learned to swim for this?! That is so amazing!
Post a Comment