On our second day in Petra we were ready to do a walk around the entrance through some canyon that looked amazing in David's eyes.
It sounded long and crazy, a perfect adventure but once we were at the entrance we were stopped by a rope and a man that told David that no one can go there during Winter time because of the high chances of flash floods.
The Sky looked clear and David tried to argue that, he even tried to just go but at the end we were told that no is no. boo :-(
Oh boy, was David was devastated? Worse than a kid that is taken to a candy store and is told he can't have any of it, NADA!
We still had a ticket to enter ( it was valid for two days) so we decided to go in and explore some of the area that is not as well known.
There was a museum, but this was the only interesting thing we found.
How can I explain how deflated David's balloon was? So we saw things but they weren't as interesting.
Then we found this !
and we started to feel much better.
Then we found these tombs that we had seen earlier the day before and we had not climbed.
So, we walked the long way over there to explore them in detail.
By this point I realize that we keep moving away from the entrance and I asked my dearest, why are we doing such thing? My feet were destroyed from the day before and I was dead tired, I didn't want to walk 4 extra miles for just a couple more tombs that if you think about , look just like the ones we had been looking at for two days now.
It was at this moment that my dearest confessed. He said that if we kept walking a little bit more, we would come at the end of the canyon he wanted to come through in the morning. He was sure no one would stop us from going in. That way we could go out a different way AND it was shorter.
I, being the chicken I was born to be, decided that if they told us it was dangerous, then we shouldn't go.
How do you explain this to mountain man? For a moment I wished that Ryan, Scott, Blake and Weston were there, to help me fight this battle (all very competent, amazing mountain guys as well) I wanted them to talk some sense in my David.
But then I realized that they would have wanted to do the same as David. What?!! Why?!! aren't you all Boy Scouts?!!!
We talked a little and I was not happy and he was not changing his mind. We were about to go our separate ways out of the site when a loud donkey scared the tuna salad out of me and I asked David to get me past the monkey, then we would go different ways and see who gets there first. (What was I thinking? his legs are longer than mine!)
No one was on my side...
or so I thought....
Until we see a nice, old Bedouin. He asked if we wanted a guide out of the site, and he pointed the way David wanted to go. Now, it isn't that I don't trust my man, but I did have a little bit more confidence on the real mountain man, the one that walked that path every singe day. So I told David that I would go if Mr Bedouin comes with us.
He told us he would take us but it was hard to understand him, his English was poor.
We made it to a fork and there was the entrance David wanted to take, the Bedouin said no, that is was full of water, but David insisted, so the guy just stayed at the entrance and let him go in for a bit.
I follow David for a tiny bit but then the mud made me change my mind, he went for another minute and came back convinced that we would have to swim to get out of there.
So, as to not leave the place without an adventure, we follow the Bedouin, out of the site on an unmark path...
I have to say that Mr Bedouin told us that it would take about half an hour to get out his way.
It took more than an HOUR! and it was crazy, we were both panting as we climbed but this guy, who was like 60 years old looked like he was barely moving. We were drinking water like crazy and he did not break a sweat. He put us to shame, BIG time.
I was so happy to be out of there and near a car that could move my tired feet out. I did hike without major stops so I was rewarded with an ice cream cone at the end :-)
It was a beautiful place to visit, it was the perfect temperature the WHOLE time, not too cold, not too hot but beautiful. I loved it, it was amazing!
The next day we woke up early and got ready to drive all the way to Wadi Rum.
Here is a view of Petra that morning, it was so dark because it was raining like crazy.
It rained non stop while we were trying to get out of the mountains, which made it for a stressful drive. The fog was so thick it was hard to see but we were together, and that is all that matter.
Then we were in this amazing High way that made us feel like we were in the USA on our way to Walmart!!!
It sounded long and crazy, a perfect adventure but once we were at the entrance we were stopped by a rope and a man that told David that no one can go there during Winter time because of the high chances of flash floods.
The Sky looked clear and David tried to argue that, he even tried to just go but at the end we were told that no is no. boo :-(
Oh boy, was David was devastated? Worse than a kid that is taken to a candy store and is told he can't have any of it, NADA!
We still had a ticket to enter ( it was valid for two days) so we decided to go in and explore some of the area that is not as well known.
There was a museum, but this was the only interesting thing we found.
![]() |
| Nature is jus so perfect! This is just a sample of the wall. |
![]() |
| What a beautiful view! |
and we started to feel much better.
![]() |
| Pretty cool parking garage! May I point out that the building that you see is just an empty big box and that there is NOTHING around this area. Still, pretty cool. |
So, we walked the long way over there to explore them in detail.
![]() |
| The inside of the one above. |
It was at this moment that my dearest confessed. He said that if we kept walking a little bit more, we would come at the end of the canyon he wanted to come through in the morning. He was sure no one would stop us from going in. That way we could go out a different way AND it was shorter.
I, being the chicken I was born to be, decided that if they told us it was dangerous, then we shouldn't go.
How do you explain this to mountain man? For a moment I wished that Ryan, Scott, Blake and Weston were there, to help me fight this battle (all very competent, amazing mountain guys as well) I wanted them to talk some sense in my David.
But then I realized that they would have wanted to do the same as David. What?!! Why?!! aren't you all Boy Scouts?!!!
We talked a little and I was not happy and he was not changing his mind. We were about to go our separate ways out of the site when a loud donkey scared the tuna salad out of me and I asked David to get me past the monkey, then we would go different ways and see who gets there first. (What was I thinking? his legs are longer than mine!)
No one was on my side...
or so I thought....
Until we see a nice, old Bedouin. He asked if we wanted a guide out of the site, and he pointed the way David wanted to go. Now, it isn't that I don't trust my man, but I did have a little bit more confidence on the real mountain man, the one that walked that path every singe day. So I told David that I would go if Mr Bedouin comes with us.
![]() |
| Last site we saw before walking away to unknown paths. |
We made it to a fork and there was the entrance David wanted to take, the Bedouin said no, that is was full of water, but David insisted, so the guy just stayed at the entrance and let him go in for a bit.
I follow David for a tiny bit but then the mud made me change my mind, he went for another minute and came back convinced that we would have to swim to get out of there.
So, as to not leave the place without an adventure, we follow the Bedouin, out of the site on an unmark path...
![]() |
| This is what it looked like for a while. |
![]() |
| Then we found a little bridge. |
![]() |
| And we had to squeeze through some big rocks. |
![]() |
| We were literally crawling out big rocky mountains. |
![]() |
| The fence!! it means we are almost out!!! |
It took more than an HOUR! and it was crazy, we were both panting as we climbed but this guy, who was like 60 years old looked like he was barely moving. We were drinking water like crazy and he did not break a sweat. He put us to shame, BIG time.
I was so happy to be out of there and near a car that could move my tired feet out. I did hike without major stops so I was rewarded with an ice cream cone at the end :-)
It was a beautiful place to visit, it was the perfect temperature the WHOLE time, not too cold, not too hot but beautiful. I loved it, it was amazing!
The next day we woke up early and got ready to drive all the way to Wadi Rum.
Here is a view of Petra that morning, it was so dark because it was raining like crazy.
It rained non stop while we were trying to get out of the mountains, which made it for a stressful drive. The fog was so thick it was hard to see but we were together, and that is all that matter.
Then we were in this amazing High way that made us feel like we were in the USA on our way to Walmart!!!
![]() |
| Then we found these guys and were brought to reality all over again :-) |

















3 comments:
I need captions! Why is David all black in that one picture?!
Although, I totally understand no words- there are a TON of pictures here!
WOW! WHAT AN ADVENTURE
Where did the picture of black David go? And oh my gosh, what a way to really experience the place!
Post a Comment