Friday, May 10, 2013

Wadi Rum

After Petra we drove to Wadi Rum.
This was our view of Petra as we were leaving. It was cold, foggy and rainy. We were so glad to have been able  visit before the stormy weather.
Good bye Petra!!!!
Then we drove and drove to Wadi rum.  Make sure to look at the link, it's an Unesco World heritage site :-)
It took us a couple of hours to get to it, once we arrived we were welcomed by our guide and taken to our first stop.
 A little tree in the middle of the rocky mountain.
David, getting ready to hike up to the tree.
Meanwhile I rested on a rock and snapped pictures of his hike.
My feet were still hurting from the previous day.
Where is Waldo/David?
Hint, he is climbing over a rock.
Then we drove to this little canyon where we found Petroglyphs, puddles and a weird dog. 


What you can't see in this picture is me on top of a sand dune getting ready to roll down it.
It wasn't as fun as I thought it would be.
Here is the video of me going down. David was looking for something more exciting to film and I found that sand can go everywhere in your body if you roll in it.
Everywhere!

Our little picnic area.
Lunch, made by our Bedouin.
This had to be one of the yummiest things we ate in Jordan (that was local) it is called Galayet. It is tomatoes, onion, garlic, peas and tuna fish, all cooked in a stew style and eaten with some arab bread. Which in this case, was the best I've ever had, which was made in the morning by his momma!!!

On top of a cracky arch.
Is cracky a word?!!

Then we took a break in the middle of ..... the sand?
Then, this happened.
The picture is blurry because it was taken with a 10X zoom, since we were worried about our friend's pride. He had just been talking about he had NEVER! gotten stuck in the sand because he was an amazing driver.

So, our stop was a little longer than planned, meanwhile we enjoyed our surroundings.

Can you see our friend?
Than I got a little melancholic and was missing my little people, so I made them something.





Thankfully our friend unstuck us and then we drove to a magical place......

.... the Chicken Rock!

If you are with the chicken rock, you must do the chicken dance!
We stayed and watched a magnificent sunset and then drove to our camp.

It was absolutely cool!!! We had a tent with two cots and there was a main tent where there was a fire and other bedouins along with an Italian couple who had just return from Jerusalem.
We had a tasty dinner, great conversation with our new friends and a mini concert by one of the bedouins. Absolutely perfect.

The next day we took a "little" hike around on the rocks.
Watermelon!!!
Beginning of the hike.
End of the hike.
Good bye Wadi Rum, it would have been great to spend another day exploring this beautiful place, but we had to go and drive all the way to the Dead Sea, where Megan will find out what is that black stuff all over David.
Stay tuned!







2 comments:

Meg said...

Bedouins sound SO interesting! I'd love to hear more about what you observed of their culture. What an incredible adventure! And I'm so excited to see more!

Linda said...

I love the photo with the TALL shadow, the sand pictures of your girls (what an artist!), and your great photos of the sky at the beginning. I think Dave is almost to the tree in that photo, right?